Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission which helps contribute to the running of the site – I’m very grateful to anyone who uses these links but their use is entirely optional. The compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site and does not impact reviews that are published.
Last week I wrote about a way you could parlay a Choice Privileges bonus into United Mileage Plus miles that cost from as little as 1.13 cents each. That was a fantastic offer and I didn’t think we would see another like it for a while.
I was wrong.
If you missed out on the last offer (which ended on Sunday) you now have another chance to stock up on a few very cheap United Miles.
Here’s what you need to know:
Thia deal centers around 3 important facts.
- Choice Privileges is offering a 30% discount on points purchased through Friday 17 November.
- You can currently convert Choice Privilege Points to United Miles at a rate of 5,000 points to 2,500 miles.
- United is running a deal in which transfers of hotel points to MileagePlus are boosted by 30% through 30 November 2017.
I can’t actually show you a screenshot of the new math as I’ve already purchased all the Choice Points I’m allowed to so Choice won’t price a points sale up for me…but here’s how it works:
- 50,000 Choice Points ordinarily cost $550
- With the 30% discount offered in the current promotion 50,000 Choice Points will cost $385 (70% of $550).
- 50,000 Choice Points will convert to 25,000 United Miles (pre the 30% hotel points to United Miles bonus)
- When the 30% bonus is added in to the equation the 50,000 Choice Points will end up converting into 32,500 United Miles (that’s an effective transfer rate of 5,000 points to 3,250 miles)
- As the Choice Points originally cost $385 that is also, effectively, the cost of the United Miles. This that means that you will have effectively paid 1.18 cents/mile.
As I thought the last deal was fantastic it shouldn’t surprise you to find out that I love this promotion too – it’s an amazing deal.
One downside is that this promotion only allows you to generate 32,500 miles (in last week’s promotion you could generate at least 42,250 miles) but, to balance things out, everyone gets to buy United Miles at the same super-low rate.
Don’t forget that the Choice Points 30% discount is only available through 17 November (Friday) so don’t procrastinate too long if you think this could work for you.